Activities In and Around the Lake Taupo Region
Within easy reach of Rive Gauche Bed and Breakfast you will find many things to see and do, with activities to suit people of all ages, interests and budgets. New Zealand's thermal areas and Great Lake Taupo cycle trails are prominent attractions. We at Rive Gauche are happy to help plan your stay in Taupo and to recommend some of the many local activities in the Lake Taupo and Tongariro National Park regions.
- Trout fishing - Try your hand at fly fishing in the rivers around Taupo, or by boat on the lake. We can recommend fishing guides.
- Golf - The Taupo district has recognised golf courses including the Wairakei International
- Water Activities - Huka Falls Jet, Sail Barbary, Rapids Jet, Waikato River Jet, Tongariro River Rafting etc.
- Winter sports - skiing and snowboarding at Mt Ruapehu June - October/November.
- Thermal pools -Taupo Hot Pools for a choice of natural thermal pools and thermally heated pools and Wairakei Terraces
- Scenic Flights - Taupo Helicopter Adventure Flights, Taupo Float Plane
- Walking and Hiking - there are many short and longer walks around Taupo to suit your level of fitness. You can start from Rive Gauche, as Huka Falls is a pleasant 30 mins walk away, and a loop track leads you to Taupo along the opposite side of the river. Walking time into Taupo is also 30 minutes.
- The Tongariro Crossing - Daily return transport from Taupo is provided by several companies including Tongariro Expeditions, and Tongariro Alpine Hot Bus. Alternatively we can reserve a shuttle to take you from the carpark at the end point to the beginning of the track.
- Maori Cultural Experience - Wairakei Terraces offers an exciting Maori cultural programme, including traditional hangi meal. Courtesy pick-up available.
- Taupo Cycling Events and Trails - There are cycle trails in the nearby Wairakei forest to suit all levels. Taupo town hosts many cycling events including the Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge, and multidisciplinary events such as the International Iron-man in March.
- Mountain Biking - Explore the Great Lake Trails. Drop-off and pick-up offered by Great Lake Shuttles (transport and hire).
- Wairakei Tourist Park - Within the park Huka Falls and Aratiatia rapids are free local attractions, with Huka Falls being only 2km (30 minutes walk) away. Other popular attractions include Craters of the Moon, Volcanic Activity Centre, Honey Hive, Golf Driving range and Prawn Park.
- Adventure activities - Taupo Bungy, Taupo Tandem Sky Diving.
- Arts and crafts - Taupo Museum holds regular exhibitions, as well as being host to the award winning Ora garden. There are a number of popular galleries, some of which have cafés attached.
- Thermal areas - the three major thermal areas of the Central North Island are located between Taupo and Rotorua, with the closest being only 30 minutes drive from Rive Gauche: Waiotapu Thermal Valley, Waimangu Thermal Valley, Orakei Korako.
- Relaxation therapies - In clinic and at home treatments are available.
While many of the activities are accessible from Taupo itself, others are an easy drive away
- Tongariro National Park - approximately 1 hour to the south of Taupo.
- Rotorua - approximately 1 hour.
- Hawkes Bay - vineyards and art deco buildings, less than 2 hours.
- Waitomo Caves - approximately 2 hours.
- Waitomo - glow worm cave and others, 2 hours.